You don’t need a lot of words to wish someone a happy birthday. The point is to let the special person know you’re thinking about them on their big day. You can do that with a brief birthday card message, a text, a social media post, or even by speaking to them face-to-face (what a novel idea!).
In fact, the words “Happy Birthday” are all you really need. But then, that might be a little too brief – not to mention generic. To help you come up with a message that’s meaningful without being verbose, here’s a list of short birthday wishes for all the important people in your life.
Here are some short and simple birthday messages that work for just about anyone.
- Happy Birthday to one of my favorite people on the planet!
- Best wishes on your birthday – may you have many, many more.
- Wishing you the happiest of birthdays.
- Best wishes for a fantastic person on [his/her] birthday.
- Happy Birthday! Today is a good day to spend some time with family, and some money on yourself.
- I hope you treat yourself to something special on your birthday – you deserve it!
- Getting older sucks, but you make it look easy.
- You make life more fun for everyone you meet. Thanks for being you.
- You do so much for others, I hope you find time to do something for yourself on your birthday.
Putting a smile on someone’s face is one of the best things you can do for them on their birthday. Here are some short and funny birthday wishes you can use.
- Your birthday’s here! Another year! Have good cheer! Grab a beer!
- I hope everyone remembers your birthday, but forgets how old you are.
- Congratulations on another year on Earth.
- There’s something in the air today… I think it’s an old fart.
- I’d tell you to spoil yourself today, but you’re already pretty rotten!
- Have a great birthday, and remember to never act your age.
- Older, wiser, AND sexier? You’re doing something right, [girl/boy].
- You’re going to need a bigger cake for all those candles!
- Cheer up. Turning a year older is better than the alternative.
- Remember, you can get away with anything when it’s your birthday.
A few nice words can really make someone’s (birth)day. Here are some short and sweet messages for someone who means a lot to you. For many more sweet birthday wishes, see these “Happy Birthday, Beautiful” messages.
- Congrats on another year of being totally awesome! Happy Birthday!
- If you get even half the birthday presents you deserve, I’ll come save you. Because you’ll be drowning in them.
- May your birthday be full of fun, relaxation, and joy!
- I’m so grateful you were born on this day [age] years ago. It’s like a holiday for me!
- There’s not enough room on the planet for all the birthday presents you deserve.
- Hope your birthday is as wonderful as you are!
- Like fine wine, you just get better with age. Happy Birthday!
Here are some messages that emphasize the friendship between you and the birthday girl or boy.
- When it comes to being an awesome friend, you take the cake. Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday to a great friend and an even better person.
- Friends like you are worth celebrating. Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday to someone whose friendship means the world to me.
- Have a wonderful birthday. Don’t get into too much trouble (without me, that is).
- Happy Birthday to a true friend. I’m so thankful you were born.
A best friend deserves a unique birthday wish, such as one of the following. For lots more options, see this list of birthday wishes for a best friend.
- Happy Birthday to the best bestie ever!
- Happy Birthday to my partner in crime!
- I’m celebrating today. It’s the anniversary of my favorite person being born.
- Happy Birthday to someone who’s absolutely, positively indispensable to me.
- If being awesome were a crime, you’d be on the top of the Most Wanted list. Happy Birthday!
- Wishing my BFF an FFB (Effing Fantastic Birthday).
- Happy Birthday to one of the awesomest people who ever lived.
Here are some short birthday wishes for a boyfriend.
- Sending you birthday wishes, hugs, and kisses.
- Hope you have an awesome day! The best boyfriend ever deserves the best birthday ever!
- Happy Birthday to the man I love. You deserve everything life has to offer.
- Lots of love to my birthday beau.
- Thanks for being born [age] years ago and growing up to be so damn foxy.
Here are some quick messages for a special lady on her birthday.
- One day a year isn’t enough to celebrate someone as special as you. Happy Birthday.
- I’m celebrating you today, because you mean so much to me.
- Happy Birthday! I can’t wait to give you your “pinch to grow an inch” in private.
- Happy Birthday to someone who makes every day of my life special.
- Happy Birthday, baby. I’ll be thinking about you all day today… just like every other day.
Your mom will undoubtedly be touched that you even remembered her birthday. Here are some ideas on what to say. For more ideas – a bunch more – see this list of birthday wishes for Mom.
- Happy Birthday, Mom. I love and appreciate you more with each passing year.
- Happy Birthday to the best Mom a person could ask for!
- Hope you get some time to relax on your birthday – you’ve earned it after years of taking care of me.
- Happy Birthday to someone who always made my childhood birthdays special.
- Happy Birthday to the lady who taught me everything I know.
Need to come up with a short saying for Dad on his big day? Here are some ideas. For a full list of birthday wishes for Pop, check out this article.
- Happy Birthday to one hell of a dad.
- Dad, thanks for being born. I wouldn’t be here without you.
- Dad, I didn’t always appreciate you when I was growing up, but I sure do now. Have a good one.
- Happy Birthday, Dad! Thank you for your hard work and dad-ication!
- Happy Birthday to a great Dad and an all-around amazing guy.
Here are some short messages for a brother on his birthday. You can find more options in this article.
- Happy Birthday to a brother like no other!
- You smell like a monkey, and you look like one too. Happy Birthday, Bro!
- You’re good at this brother thing. I’m so glad you were born [age] years ago.
- Growing up with you was never boring, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday from your favorite family member.
And here are some short sayings for a birthday sister. For more ideas, see our full list of birthday wishes for Sis.
- A birthday wish for my awesome Sis… hope your big day is simply wonderful.
- You’re my sister and my friend, and you’re equally amazing at both. Happy Birthday, Sis!
- I wouldn’t have said this when we were kids, but I’m really glad you were born.
- My life would be about 99% less awesome without you – thanks and Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday, Sis! I know how old you are, but don’t worry – I’ll keep it to myself.
Finally, here are some brief sayings to wish a cousin a Happy Birthday. For longer messages, see our big list of birthday wishes for a cousin.
- Happy Birthday to a cousin who makes family gatherings 100% more interesting.
- Happy Birthday to a cousin who’s been like a [brother/sister] to me.
- Birthday hugz for my cuz.
- Hope you get birthday presents by the dozen, my cousin.
- Congrats on another year of being the best cousin ever. Happy Birthday!
- 40+ Ways to Say Happy Father’s Day to a Brother-in-Law - May 22, 2023
- Let’s Say Happy Father’s Day to All the Dads Out There - May 20, 2023
- Top 50 Long Distance Relationship Quotes of All Time - May 16, 2023