Sure, every guy deserves to feel special on his birthday. But let’s face it, some birthday boys are more special than others. When it’s your own son who’s turning a year older… well, it doesn’t get much more special than that.
For an occasion like this, no run-of-the-mill birthday greeting will do. To help you find the right message, we’ve put together this wide-ranging list of birthday wishes for a son. They’re ideal for greeting cards, Facebook, text messages, and everywhere else birthday wishes are shared.
Note: Looking for birthday wishes for a son-in-law? We have a separate article for that.
Sweet & Sincere
Here are some birthday messages that tell your son how much he means to you.
- Happy Birthday, son! We may have given you lots of birthday presents over the years, but they don’t compare to the joy you’ve given us just by being you.
- Happy Birthday to a man I am so proud to call my son. I’ve always believed in you, and I always will.
- Happy Birthday to my amazing son. You used to be my little guy. Now you’re just a great guy.
- Son, I think you’re special every day. But today, I’m telling the world, because it’s your birthday.
- If anyone deserves a Happy Birthday, it’s you. You made me the happiest person in the world the day you were born.
- On your birthday, I wish you happiness – the same thing I’ve wished for you every day of your life.
- Son, we’ve loved you every day of your life, and your birthday is no different. It’s just a great time to let you know.
- Happy Birthday to our wonderful son! You brought so much joy into our lives the day you were born, and you continue to add to that joy with each passing year.
- Happy Birthday to a son who truly shines.
- Happy Birthday, son! Whenever I need to smile, I just think of you.
- Happy Birthday to our son, whom we will always love dearly. It seems like just yesterday that we were holding him in our arms, and now he’s a full-grown man with a beautiful family of his own.
Here are some humorous birthday greetings for a son. For lots more ideas, see our big list of funny birthday wishes.
- Happy Birthday, son! You were a wonderful child, and you’ve become a wonderful man. Notice I didn’t mention anything about the teen years.
- Happy Birthday to my favorite son. And just because you’re my only son doesn’t make it any less special.
- Sons like you don’t come along every day. And thank goodness for that, because we could hardly afford to feed one of you. Hope you have a wonderful birthday, son.
- I’m sure you’ll hear from lots of people on your birthday, but who’s going to send you the cheesiest pun? I think the answer to that is a parent. (Get it? Apparent.)
- Best birthday wishes to my son, who somehow beat the odds and survived to adulthood.
- Son, raising you was an experience that only comes once in a lifetime. Good thing, too, because we’d for sure go bankrupt if we had to do it again. Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday, son! Remember that I will always be here for you. If I were going to ditch you, I would have done it during your teenage years.
- Happy Birthday to a son who has always filled my heart with joy even as he was emptying my bank account of money.
- Happy Birthday, son! You turned out pretty awesome, and I’m totally taking all the credit for that.
Here are some birthday messages from the birthday boy’s mother.
- Happy Birthday, son! You will always be my little boy, even though I have to look up to tell you so.
- Sure, a lot of people think you’re great now. But who thought you were great when you when you were pooping all over your onesie? This gal, that’s who!
- Happy Birthday to my sweet son! You’ll always be my baby boy, and I’ll always be your proud mama.
- Happy Birthday, you son of a nice lady who looks young for her age.
- I hate to nag you on your birthday, but make sure you have a wonderful day, okay?
- Being your mom wasn’t always easy, but the results speak for themselves. Happy Birthday to my handsome, smart, and all-around amazing son.
- I’ve never missed one of your birthdays, and I don’t intend to start now. Happy Birthday to a son who means the world to his mom.
Here are some birthday wishes to a son from his father.
- Happy Birthday to my awesome son. You used to be my Mini Me. Now you’re my Better Me.
- Happy Birthday to a guy who’s smart, charming, handsome, and takes after his father in every way!
- Happy Birthday to the best son a father could ask for. You make me proud every day.
- Don’t fret about another birthday, son. You stand a good chance of being as handsome as me when you’re old.
- Happy Birthday to the best son, from the proudest papa.
First Born Son
Here are a few ways to say Happy Birthday to a first born son.
- Happy Birthday to our first born son, who did an amazing job training us to be parents.
- Happy Birthday to my first born son, whose talent, intelligence, and kindness never cease to amaze me.
- Happy Birthday to our first born, who turned our lives upside-down when he was born and continues to thrill us with his adventures and accomplishments.
- Happy Birthday to my first born son, who continues to be a great role model for his baby brother.
- Happy Birthday to our first born. Somehow, despite being totally clueless, we’ve managed to raise a great kid.
Here are a few birthday wishes written specifically for a stepson.
- Happy Birthday to my stepson. You’ve grown into a remarkable young man, and I’ve enjoyed watching you every step of the way.
- Happy Birthday to my amazing stepson! Watching you grow up has been an honor and a privilege.
- You’re not just my stepson, but one of the best guys I know. Thanks for being you – and Happy Birthday!
Here are some birthday wishes written with a teenage son in mind.
- Happy Birthday to my son, who probably won’t see this because he has blocked me on all social media platforms.
- Happy Birthday to my son, who is growing up waaaaay too fast.
- Happy Birthday, son! Since you’re always wanting us to treat you more like an adult, we’re skipping the birthday money this year.
- Happy Birthday, son! In a desperate attempt to get you to clean your room, I’ve hidden your birthday cash under the clothes on your floor.
- Son, this year I decided I wouldn’t embarrass you with a sappy birthday card. Embarrassing you on social media is just so much more effective. Happy Birthday to my baby boy!
Finally, here are some birthday messages for a younger son. Even if he’s too young to appreciate these birthday wishes himself, other people will enjoy seeing you express your feelings about your little guy..
- Happy Birthday to our little guy, who keeps us on our toes from son-up to son-down!
- Happy Birthday, [name]! You are my son-shine!
- Who knew having a son could be this much fun? Happy Birthday to our little boy!
- Happy Birthday to the little boy who has stolen our hearts.
- Happy Birthday to the most special birthday boy in the history of birthday boys!
For more birthday wishes – and we mean lots more – check out our section on birthday wording ideas.