Not everything has changed since you were in high school. If you have a high schooler of your own now, you probably noticed that the tradition of autographing yearbooks is pretty much the same. There’s just one new wrinkle: Now you’re writing in that yearbook as a parent.
That means you can no longer get away with scribbling something like “Class of 2021 rulez!!!” No, a parent is expected to offer words of wisdom and encouragement. And they have to do it without hogging too much of the “autographs” section.
In other words, it takes some thought. Here are some sample yearbook messages from parents to help you find the right words.
General Wording Ideas
To start, here are some general-use yearbook message examples that work for both graduating and non-graduating students.
- You’re growing up to be such a wonderful person. My only complaint is, does it have to happen so fast? 🙁
- We’ve watched in amazement as you’ve grown into the person you are today, and we’re watching with great anticipation to see what you become. With your talent and determination, the sky’s the limit!
- We’re so proud of you! You’re a talented kid, a hard worker, and most importantly, a thoughtful and kind person. Never let anyone tell you different!
- I noticed you had me sign your yearbook last. What, did you think I would write something embarrassing? Well, you’re right, my beautiful precious baby [boy/girl] who I’m so proud of!
- Another milestone! It was a tough year in many ways, but also a great year. Now you know how strong you are.
To a Graduating Senior
Here are some wording samples that are specific to graduating seniors.
- You did it! Hope you’re as proud of yourself as we are of you.
- Someday you’ll look back at these pages and think about the people and events that shaped your high school experience. But now it’s time for something new, and as your biggest fans, we can’t wait to see what happens next!
- Goodbye high school! There were good times and bad times, and we rode that roller coaster with you. Now it’s time to open a new chapter, and you get to be the author.
- Yes! You’ve come so far, and with your talent, there’s no limit to how much farther you can go.
- Greatest. Kid. Ever. I’m proud of you for graduating high school, but I’m even more proud of you for growing up to be such an amazing person.
To a Daughter
Here are a few examples of yearbook messages tailored to a daughter.
- We’ll always think of you as our little girl, even as you grow into a beautiful and strong woman right before our eyes.
- You made it! Congrats to a brilliant student and a wonderful daughter. I’m so proud right now, I’m about to get tears all over your yearbook!
- Stay sweet, stay fierce, and most importantly, stay you!
To a Son
Here are some examples of yearbook messages for a son.
- Congrats to a smart, talented, charming, adventurous, sometimes-sarcastic, always-hilarious son! The future is yours!
- Somehow, some way, you’re growing into a stellar young man. I’d like to take partial credit for that, but you’re doing most of it on your own.
- “Look at my son
Pride is not the word I’m looking for
There is so much more inside me now”Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton)
Another option is to write a motivational quote in your kid’s yearbook. Here are some good ones.
- “True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
- “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
- “The difference between school and life? In school, you’re taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson.”
- “Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement.”
- “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.”
Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Strong convictions precede great actions.”
Louisa May Alcott
- “The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.”
- “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.”
- “Only those who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible.”
- “A truly strong person does not need the approval of others any more than a lion needs the approval of sheep.”
- “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
- “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
You can find many more inspiring quotes floating around the internet. A good place to start is our list of the best graduation quotes of all time.