Way back in 1932, a guy named Walter Pitkin popularized the phrase “life begins at 40.” The meaning of that old saying is clear: people turning 40 have plenty of living left to do.
With advances in medicine and greater awareness of health and nutrition, that’s even more true now than it was in Pitkin’s day. Still, turning 40 will always be a big deal. If nothing else, it’s an excuse to celebrate someone who’s important to you.
So, what’s the best way to wish someone a Happy 40th Birthday? It all depends on your relationship with that person, and the tone you want to convey. To give you some ideas, we’ve put together this big list of sweet, clever, cute and funny 40th birthday wishes.
Here are some straightforward 40th birthday messages you can share with just about anyone hitting the four-decade mark.
- Happy Birthday to someone who’s Talented, Terrific, Tremendous, and Top-notch! Welcome to your four T’s!
- Your first 40 years were pretty damn great. Here’s hoping you get at least 40 more!
- Congratulations on four decades of sheer awesomeness!
- Lordy, Lordy, look who’s 40! Hope your big day is positively wonderful.
- Congrats on turning the big 4-oh. You’ve accomplished so much in your life, and to think, you’re just getting started.
- You look good for 40. Scratch that, you look good, period. Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday! I can’t wait to see what you do with your next 40 years.
- Forty is the new awesome. Happy Birthday!
- Best wishes on your 40th birthday – a great milestone for a truly great person!
- You have the energy of someone half your age and the wisdom of someone double your age. Happy 40th Birthday to a truly remarkable person.
Here are some funny 40th birthday wishes, many of them poking fun at the person’s age.
- I’ll bet you were hoping no one would notice you were turning 40. Well, no such luck! Happy Birthday!
- Happy 40th Birthday! How does it feel to be the world’s oldest kid?
- Now you’re as sexy as two 20-year-olds. Happy 40th Birthday!
- Happy 40th Birthday! Oh, and if you wake up feeling like crap tomorrow, it’s not a hangover – that’s just what it’s like being old.
- I would have planned a big 40th birthday party for you, but whodathunk you’d make it this far?
- They say 40 is the new 30. However, it should be noted that they often lie.
- Happy Birthday! And thank you so much for turning 40 before me!
- I hate to call you the F word, but… you’re forty! Happy Birthday!
- Happy 40th Birthday! And remember: You’re never too old to act like an idiot.
- Don’t think of it as your 40th birthday. Think of it as the 20th anniversary of your 20th birthday. Happy Birthday Anniversary!
- Hope you have a blast on your 40th birthday! Just don’t overdo it – at your age, partying too much can be dangerous.
- Welcome to 40, an age when you’re still young at heart, but other body parts are starting to falter.
Here are some messages aimed at a woman turning 40. You might also want to check out this list of ways to say “Happy Birthday, Beautiful.”
- Still fun, foxy, and fabulous at 40. Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday to one beautiful and youthful 40-year-old!
- Happy Birthday, lady! No one would ever guess that you’re 40 years old, and with the proper bribe, I won’t tell them!
- Happy 40th Birthday to a lady who will forever be beautiful, inside and out.
Here are some birthday wishes for a man turning 40. If you want to tease the birthday boy for getting older, you’ll also want to check out these brutally funny birthday messages.
- You’ve always been a good-looking dude. Now you’re a good-looking older dude. Happy 40th Birthday!
- Happy 40th Birthday! You are officially a Distinguished Gentleman.
- Best wishes on your 40th birthday! I would make fun of you for being old, but I’m afraid you might toss your dentures at me and hit me with your cane!
- Happy 40th Birthday! Welcome to your Viagra years!
Here are 40th birthday messages for someone who’s particularly close to you. If the birthday girl or boy is your best friend, you might also want to check out this article.
- Best wishes on your 40th birthday. I’m so proud to have you as a friend… even if you are old.
- Happy 40th Birthday to a true troublemaker. Don’t you dare get old on me!
- Happy Birthday to my favorite 40-year-old. Hope you’re planning to stick around for many more years, because I couldn’t possibly find another friend like you.
- Happy 40th Birthday to someone who’s awesome at any age.
- Happy Birthday to a special friend. If your next 40 years are half as good as the first, you will have had a pretty amazing life.
Finally, here are some 40th birthday wishes for a husband, wife, boyfriend, or girlfriend. For more ideas, see these birthday messages for your sweetie.
- Happy Birthday to the foxiest 40-year-old around!
- Happy 40th Birthday, baby! Your birthday spanking is going to be a real doozy!
- Happy 40th Birthday to my amazing husband! I’m still head over heels for you, and I always will be.
- Happy Birthday to my beautiful wife, who is way too sexy to be 40 years old.
- Happy 40th Birthday, sweetie! If we gotta grow old, let’s grow old together!