What does it mean to turn 50? Who the heck knows these days? While some 50-year-olds are comfortable in their middle-aged skin, an increasing number of quinquagenarians are determined to maintain a youthful lifestyle with the help of nutrition, exercise, and a variety of pharmaceuticals.
Still, while it means different things to different people, a 50th birthday is always a major milestone. If you know someone hitting the half-century mark, a standard, run-of-the-mill birthday wish simply won’t cut it. As with a 30th or 40th birthday, you need a message that befits this momentous occasion.
To help you out, here’s a diverse sampling of 50th birthday wishes you can post online, send in a text message, or scribble in a greeting card.
To start, here are some simple and heartfelt 50th birthday messages you could send to just about anyone, regardless of their relationship to you.
- Congratulations on reaching the half-century club! May your next 50 years be just as amazing as the first!
- Happy Birthday to a very youthful 50-year-old.
- Still nifty at fifty. Hope you have a wonderful birthday!
- Happy Birthday to a true child of the 80s. Hope your big day is totally awesome.
- Wishing you all the best on your 50th birthday, and in all the years to come.
- Congratulations on your 50 years on the planet. You’ve accomplished so much, and the best is yet to come!
- Fifty years old and still going strong. I hope I have half your energy when I’m your age.
- Happy 50th to someone who is 100% awesome.
- Happy 50th Birthday! You don’t just look amazing for your age – you are amazing at any age.
- You make turning 50 look good. I may have to try it sometime!
Here are some funny 50th birthday wishes, many of which poke fun at the person’s advancing age. For more laugh-inducing ideas, see our big list of funny birthday wishes.
- Happy 50th Birthday! Sure, being young was fun, but now you’re older and wiser. Well, you’re older.
- Happy Birthday to someone who remembers what it was like to use a payphone, flip over a cassette tape, and get out of your chair to change the TV channel.
- Happy 50th Birthday! Good luck blowing out all those candles!
- Thank you so much for turning 50 before me. I owe you one!
- Happy 50th Birthday! Welcome to your midlife crisis.
- Happy 50th Birthday! Remember, 50 is just a number. A big, round, scary number.
- Happy 30th anniversary of your 20th birthday!
- They say 50 is the new 40. Who’s they? Probably a bunch of old people like you.
- Happy 50th Birthday! You don’t look even close to 50, and that’s a really, really annoying thing about you.
- Happy 50th Birthday! You may be showing your age, but at least you’re not acting it!
- Turning 50 makes you wonder where the years have gone. Also, where are your keys? And what did you do with your glasses? And why did you walk into this room?
- Happy 50th Birthday! Welcome to the age where it’s no longer possible to find a birthday cake big enough to hold all your candles!
Here are some birthday wishes for a woman turning 50. If the birthday girl is particularly special to you, you may want to see our list of sweet birthday wishes for her.
- Still fun, fine, and fabulous at fifty. Hope you have a fantastic birthday!
- Welcome to 50. If your face feels warm, it’s either the heat from your birthday candles or a hot flash.
- Happy 50th Birthday to a lady who is beautiful at any age.
- Happy 50th Birthday to a lady who is forever young.
Here are some 50th birthday wishes for a guy. For more ideas, see this list of “old man” birthday wishes.
- Still foxy at fifty! Happy Birthday to a guy who looks amazing for his age.
- They say that guys get better looking with age… and in your case, it’s true! Happy 50th!
- Turning 50 used to be a real downer for men, but thanks to certain pills you can take, things are really looking up!
- Happy Birthday to a guy who looks 50 but acts 15.
Finally, here are some touching 50th birthday wishes for a good friend. If we’re talking best friend, you may also want to see this article.
- Fifty years… a wonderful milestone for a wonderful person.
- Happy 50th Birthday to one of the most amazing people I know. I can’t wait to see what you do in the next half-century.
- Happy 50th Birthday! I hope you’re around for at least 50 more, because people as remarkable as you don’t come along very often.
- The world has been lucky to have you for the past 50 years. Congrats on reaching this special milestone. I wish you many happy years ahead.
- Happy 50th Birthday to my best friend. Promise me you will never start acting your age.
If you’re hosting a birthday bash for the soon-to-be 50-year-old, you’ll definitely want to hop over to these invitation wording ideas.
- 50 Extra-Merry Christmas Wishes For a Special Niece - November 20, 2023
- 50 Sparkling Ways to Wish People a Happy December - November 5, 2023
- Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas! 50 Glittery Greetings - October 30, 2023