You can be as pale as a ghost, pass through a ghost town, look as though you’ve seen a ghost, not stand a ghost of a chance, and read a book written by a ghostwriter. And if you get tired of all that ghostly business, you can give up the ghost.
As you can see, ghosts haunt the English language, appearing in all sorts of familiar expressions that people use not just on Halloween, but everyday. Of course, all those sayings also raise the specter of some seriously spirited pun-making. If you dare, check out the following list of ridiculous ghost puns – they’re so bad, it’s scary.
Here are some ghost puns in the form of riddles.
- Did you hear about the guy who tried to shoot a ghost?
- What do you call a ghost who can’t find his way back to his haunted house?
A lost soul!
- Why was the ghost refused service at a bar?
They didn’t serve spirits there!
- Why are haunted houses so hard to find?
They’re all located on dead ends!
- Why should you think long and hard about becoming a ghost hunter?
The decision might come back to haunt you!
- What kind of fruit do ghosts like best?
Boo-nanas, of course!
- What did the ghost say when another ghost tried to move into his haunted house?
Spook for yourself!
- What do you call it when people get together at a haunted house?
An “I scream” social!
- What game do ghost babies like to play?
- What game do ghosts like to play when they get a little older?
- Why do ghosts have a hard time impersonating the living?
The sheet is a dead giveaway!
- Why did the ghost have to leave the haunted house party early?
He couldn’t handle his boo’s!
- Why should you never enter a haunting contest with ghosts?
You wouldn’t stand a ghost of a chance!
- Which blues singer do ghosts like best?
- What pop star do ghosts like best?
- What do you call an author who continues to work in the afterlife?
- Did you hear about the kid who only had a tattered sheet for a Halloween costume?
He went as the holey ghost!
- What do you call a ghost that refuses to stay in a haunted house?
A free spirit!
- What do you call a ghost chicken?
- Did you hear about the haunted gym?
All the priests went there to exorcize!
Here some punny ghost-related phrases that are perfect for Halloween captions, crafts, and so forth.
- Eat, Shriek, & Be Scary.
- Get in the Halloween spirit.
- Keeping it incorporeal.
- If you’ve got it, haunt it.
- Looking boo-tiful.
- Feeling fab-boo-lous.
- I ain’t got no body.
- Holy sheet! Halloween is almost here!
- May your Halloween be spook-tacular.
- I’m in good spirits. How about you?
- Phantasm? More like fun-tasm!
- Can I be your boo?