Bats have historically gotten a bum rap. In Western culture, they’ve long been associated with darkness, disease, and occult evildoers like witches and vampires. With that sort of reputation, it’s only natural that bats have become a mainstay of spooky season, being prominently featured in Halloween decorations, props, and costumes.
Of course, bats have many good qualities as well. For starters, they’re fascinating creatures, and often quite cute. They also serve an important role in the ecosystem. And, best of all for our purposes, they provide some rich material for clever wordplay.
To see what we mean, check out the following list of bat puns. It includes riddles and short sayings about fangs, caves, hanging upside down, and all the other things that make bats unique. You don’t have to be completely batty to enjoy these quips, but it sure does help.
Right off the bat, let’s start with some riddles about the aforementioned furry flyers.
- Why did the witch never tell her pet bat about her evil schemes?
Because bats like to be kept in the dark!
- Can bats ring doorbells?
No, they’re knock-turnal!
- How do bats greet each other?
With a sound wave!
- Why did the Transylvanian Little League team have to forfeit the game?
Because their bats all flew away!
- Did you hear about the bat that didn’t like sleeping upside down?
He got the hang of it eventually!
- Why did Bruce Wayne decide to call himself Batman?
It just had a nice wing to it!
- How can you tell when female vampires are flirting?
They always bat their eyes!
- How did the bat find her soulmate?
They met on a blind date!
- What happened when a bunch of bats descended on a Halloween party?
It caused quite a flap!
- Did the Halloween party get better after the bats were gone?
No, it just went from bat to worse!
- What do bats like to eat for breakfast?
- Did you know that bats are the only mammals capable of flight?
Hmm, that wings a bell!
- How does Dracula Jr. carry his school books?
In his bat pack!
- What’s the best place to house vampire bats?
In a blood shed!
- What happened when Batman refused to let Robin visit his secret lair?
He eventually caved!
- What do you call a bat that can perform feats of agility?
- How do spelunkers react when coming face-to-face with cave-dwelling creatures?
They don’t bat an eye!
- Did you know that some people vigorously defend vampire bats?
They really stick their neck out for them!
- What do you call three trick-or-treaters dressed up as an angel, a vampire, and a witch?
The Good, the Bat, and the Ugly!
- Why do vampires make terrible chauffeurs?
They drive everyone batty!
- Do baby bats practice a lot before making their first flight?
No, they just wing it!
- What do you call it when a bat lands on someone’s head?
A bat hair day!
- Can vampires take on the form of animals?
You bat they can!
- How do bats settle their differences?
- Did you hear about the bats that opened a business?
It was a fly-by-night operation!
- What did the witch say when her pet bat didn’t come out of its cave at night?
What’s the hangup?
- Why did Batman have to take a 5-minute break from crimefighting?
He had to go to the bat-room!
- Did you hear about the vampire bats who feasted on a group of British tourists?
They had a bloody good time!
- What’s the best thing to serve at a bat’s birthday party?
Upside down cake!
Here are some short bat puns that are perfect for Halloween captions, signs, and so forth.
- I go batty for Halloween.
- Bat to the bone.
- I’m your biggest fang.
- Now we got bat blood.
- I’m a bat MF.
- I’m winging it with my costume this year.
- I can be a real pain in the neck sometimes.
- I like big bats and I cannot lie.
- Don’t get on my bat side.
- I’m a sucker for vampire bats.
- Just hanging out waiting for Halloween.
- This night is going from bat to worse.
- Hang in there.
- I’m a bat influence.
- Girls just guano have fun.
- Let’s hang sometime.
- Mom always said I had a bat attitude.
- Be right bat.
- I’m just in a bat mood.
- I picked out this costume right off the bat.
- Look what the bat dragged in.
- Anyone for batminton?
- I’ve finally gone completely batty.
- I’ve got a bat feeling about this…
- Do you believe in love at first bite?
- Hope your October is fang-tastic!
- You know what they say: You gotta take the bat with the good.
- Here’s your proof that I have bats in the belfry.
- Confirmed dingbat.
If you liked these bat puns, you might appreciate the biting humor in our list of spider puns.
- Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas! 50 Glittery Greetings - October 30, 2023
- Happy Thanksgiving, Dad! 31 Warm and Funny Greetings - October 25, 2023
- 50 Cool Ways to Wish Everyone a Happy November - October 1, 2023