Bats have historically gotten a bum rap. In Western culture, they’ve long been associated with darkness, disease, and occult evildoers like witches and vampires. With that sort of reputation, it’s only natural that bats have become a mainstay of spooky season, being prominently featured in Halloween decorations, props, and costumes.
Of course, bats have many good qualities as well. For starters, they’re fascinating creatures, and often quite cute. They also serve an important role in the ecosystem. And, best of all for our purposes, they provide some rich material for clever wordplay.
To see what we mean, check out the following list of bat puns. It includes riddles and short sayings about fangs, caves, hanging upside down, and all the other things that make bats unique. You don’t have to be completely batty to enjoy these quips, but it sure does help.
Right off the bat, let’s start with some riddles about the aforementioned furry flyers.
- Why did the witch never tell her pet bat about her evil schemes?
Because bats like to be kept in the dark!
- How can you tell when female vampires are flirting?
They always bat their eyes!
- How did the bat find her soulmate?
They met on a blind date!
- What happened when a bunch of bats descended on a Halloween party?
It caused quite a flap!
- Did the Halloween party get better after the bats were gone?
No, it just went from bat to worse!
- How do spelunkers react when coming face-to-face with cave-dwelling creatures?
They don’t bat an eye!
- Did you know that some people vigorously defend vampire bats?
They really stick their neck out for them!
- What do you call three trick-or-treaters dressed up as an angel, a vampire, and a witch?
The Good, the Bat, and the Ugly!
- Why do vampires make terrible chauffeurs?
They drive everyone batty!
- Do baby bats practice a lot before making their first flight?
No, they just wing it!
- What do you call it when a bat lands on someone’s head?
A bat hair day!
- What did the witch say when her pet bat didn’t come out of its cave at night?
What’s the hangup?
- Did you hear about the vampire bats who feasted on a group of British tourists?
They had a bloody good time!
- What’s the best thing to serve at a bat’s birthday party?
Upside down cake!
Here are some short bat puns that are perfect for Halloween captions, signs, and so forth.
- I go batty for Halloween.
- I’m winging it with my costume this year.
- I can be a real pain in the neck sometimes.
- I like big bats and I cannot lie.
- Don’t get on my bat side.
- I’m a sucker for vampire bats.
- Just hanging out waiting for Halloween.
- Girls just guano have fun.
- Anyone for batminton?
- I’ve finally gone completely batty.
- I’ve got a bat feeling about this…
- Do you believe in love at first bite?
- Hope your October is fang-tastic!
- You know what they say: You gotta take the bat with the good.
- Here’s your proof that I have bats in the belfry.
- Confirmed dingbat.