If you hear the sound of groans around Halloween, it could be the spirits of the dead rising to haunt the living on All Hallows’ Eve. Alternatively, it could be people reacting to the groan-inducing puns that are popular at this time of year.
People love making puns about vampires, witches, mummies, pumpkins, candy, and all the other things associated with this macabre holiday. Heck, people even like to dress up as puns (“cereal killer” and “taco belle” are a couple favorites). Yep, when Halloween draws near, kooky spooky wordplay is about as commonplace as skeleton props and cheap plastic tombstones.
When it comes to Halloween puns, the possibilities are practically endless. However, we’ve limited the following list to the best and most groan-worthy. You might call them the scream of the crop.
Riddles & One-Liners
To start, here are some Halloween puns that take the form of riddles.
- Did you hear about the zombie who tried to pass as an ordinary trick-or-treater?
The smell was a dead giveaway!
- What kind of music did the mummies play at the Halloween party?
- Why didn’t the ghost dance at the Halloween party?
Because he had no body to dance with!
- Where can you find spider decorations for Halloween?
Just search the web!
- Why did the ghost step outside the Halloween party?
He needed a breath of fresh scare!
- Did you hear about the girl who came up with a costume on Halloween day?
She had a get-witch-quick scheme!
- Why did the ghost have to leave the Halloween party early?
He couldn’t handle his boo’s!
- What kind of beans did the monsters put in their spooky Halloween chili?
- Did you see the trick-or-treater with the amazing Grim Reaper costume?
He was a dead ringer!
- Did you hear about the kid who lost his ghost costume at the haunted house?
Apparently he was scared sheet-less!
- Why do witches ride broomsticks on Halloween?
Because vacuum cleaners suck!
- Cemeteries are always popular on Halloween. You might say people are dying to get in!
- How was your trick-or-treat haul this year?
Eh, it pail-ed in comparison to last year!
- What do you call someone who flakes out of going to the haunted house with you?
A scare-weather friend!
- Did you know the Grim Reaper has the best Halloween treats?
I hear they’re to die for!
- Don’t let any annoying vampires give you a ride home from the Halloween party. They’ll drive you batty.
- Did you know Halloween isn’t Dracula’s favorite holiday?
He prefers Fangs-giving!
- What did the mummy say when Halloween was over?
That’s a wrap!
- Why did the witch refuse to go to the Halloween party?
She was having a bad scare day!
- Was the necromancer joking when he said he would raise the dead on Halloween?
No, he was dead serious!
- Halloween is the one night of the year when the skeletons in my closet get to come out and play.
- Don’t go trick-or-treating with any vampires this Halloween – they can be a real pain in the neck!
- Why did the witch turn someone into a road?
She forgot to use spell check!
- Halloween candy is yummy and all, but don’t forget to save room for “I scream.”
- Why did the girl spirit turn the boy spirit down when he asked her to go to the Halloween party?
She was spook-en for!
- What did the girl spirit do when the boy spirit kept bothering her for a date?
She ghosted him!
- How did the skeleton know it was going to be a great All Hallows Eve?
He could feel it in his bones!
- Did you see the house with the giant fog machine on Halloween?
No, I must have mist it!
- What do you call it when a bunch of trick-or-treaters line up outside a house?
A sugar rush!
- Did you hear about the trick-or-treaters who knocked on people’s back doors on Halloween?
They called themselves the Back Treat Boys!
- What did they serve at the Halloween beach party?
- I like silly wordplay, but Halloween candy puns are candy corny.
Punny Halloween Wishes
Here’s some wicked wordplay you can use to wish someone a Happy Halloween. There’s plenty more where this came from in our big list of Halloween greetings.
- Happy Howl-oween!
- Hey boo-tiful… just wanted to send you a Halloween greeting to raise your spirits.
- Fangs for being a friend… and have a bloody good Halloween!
- Best witches for an enchanting All Hallows’ Eve.
- Hope you can handle your boo’s, because Halloween is almost here! Hope yours is spook-tacular!
- Oh my gourd, it’s Halloween time again! Orange you pumped?
Finally, here are some short Halloween puns that work like a charm for social media captions and text messages.
- Anyone know a bar that serves spirits?
- Halloween candy never goes to waste and always goes to waist.
- Ah, trick-or-treating… that rings a bell.
- This Halloween night is absolutely gourd-geous.
- Not a scare in the world.
- BFFs (Best Fiends Forever).
- I’m a goblin this year… a gobblin’ some Halloween candy, that is.
- Jack o’ lanterns… this must be the seedy part of town.
- Witches just wand to have fun.
- As the jack o’ lanterns say… Happy Hollow-ween!
- Get witch or die trying.
- This is boo-nanas.
- Just trying to scare up some fun.
- Look on the fright side… it’s Halloween!
- My costume is gonna knock ’em dead.
- Trick-or-treating is a real scream.
- Halloween is simply eerie-sistible.
- Nothing holds a candle to this jack o’ lantern.
- Halloween lights? Whose bright idea was this?
- I did it all for the spooky.
- Catch me if you candy.
- [Candy Haul] Ah, the sweet smell of success.
- [Candy Haul] My favorite candy, bar none.
- Creep calm and scary on.
- I can take a licking and keep on tricking.
- Taking scare of business.
- Eye want candy.
- Witch way to the candy?
- Living the scream.
That’s a lot of Halloween puns, but we know what you’re thinking – needs more pumpkins. As a matter of fact, there are so many pumpkin and jack o’ lantern puns that we gave them their own dedicated list.
- 50 Extra-Merry Christmas Wishes For a Special Niece - November 20, 2023
- 50 Sparkling Ways to Wish People a Happy December - November 5, 2023
- Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas! 50 Glittery Greetings - October 30, 2023