Of all the things that go bump in the night, skeletons are probably the goofiest. Unlike their fleshy cousins, the zombies, they don’t have a gory agenda. Instead, they’re usually either comic relief or sympathetic characters like Jack Skellington in The Nightmare Before Christmas.
The patently silly nature of skeletons makes them an ideal subject for pun-making. Of course, it helps that there are so many colorful expressions involving skeletons, bones, human anatomy, and the like. If you’re excited to bone up on your skeleton puns, or just bored out of your skull, point your eye sockets at the following examples.
Note: If you’re looking for a punny name for a skeleton, we have a dedicated article for that.
Here are some skeleton puns in the form of riddles.
- Why are skeletons bad at high-stress jobs?
Because they’re easily rattled!
- What musical instrument do skeletons like best?
- What happened when the skeleton went to the barbecue?
He helped himself to some spare ribs!
- Why did the skeleton refuse to scare children on Halloween?
He didn’t have the stomach for it!
- How do you make a skeleton laugh?
Tickle his funny bone!
- Why do you never see a skeleton on a plane?
They prefer to travel by skel-ecopter!
- Why did the skeleton insist on carrying around a bucket of gore?
Because it was his own flesh and blood!
- What do you say to a skeleton who’s leaving on a trip?
- What’s the best way to reach a skeleton?
Call him on his skel-phone!
- How did the skeleton lose his skin?
Something made his flesh crawl!
- Did you hear about the skeleton who made it into the Monster Hall of Fame?
He was honored with a nice skull-pture!
- Why don’t skeletons do well at sports?
Because they have no skin in the game!
- Why didn’t the skeleton attend the Halloween dance?
Because he had no body to go with!
- Why didn’t the skeleton ask someone to the Halloween dance?
He didn’t have the guts!
- What did the skeleton do instead of going to the dance?
He stayed home feeling bone-ly!
- Did you hear about the skeleton who wasn’t cool?
He didn’t have a hip bone in his body!
- What do you call a dad joke about skeletons?
These short skeleton sayings are more appropriate for Halloween captions, crafts, and the like.
- It’s gonna be a great Halloween. I can feel it in my bones.
- Hope everyone has a skele-ton of fun!
- I’ve been working my fingers to the bone to make this the best Halloween ever.
- I’ve got a bone to pick with you.
- No guts, no glory.
- Bad to the bone.
- Halloween greetings from your favorite bonehead.
- Wanna jump my bones?
- See, I’m not fat – I’m big boned.
- What it looks like in my closet.
- Tibia, or not tibia? That is the question.
If you liked these boneheaded skeleton puns, you might also want to treat yourself to our big list of Halloween puns.