All holidays have their weird traditions, but by any standard, Groundhog Day is a real doozy. Every February 2, people in different parts of the United States and Canada gather for ceremonies in which a groundhog is the guest of honor. According to legend, if the marmot is scared by its shadow, we’re in for six more weeks of winter.
To mention the fact that groundhogs have a poor record of predicting the weather is to completely miss the point. Honestly, who cares if Punxsutawney Phil is a patently poor prognosticator? The holiday is unabashedly silly, and that’s why people love it.
Fortunately, you don’t have to attend a chilly Groundhog Day event to get into the spirit. Here are some lighthearted “Happy Groundhog Day” messages you can share with friends online.
- Groundhog Day: A day when we look to a cowardly marmot to tell us whether we all need to hibernate for six more weeks.
- Happy Groundhog Day, everyone! Let’s hope the little rodent is brave so we don’t get six more weeks of winter!
- Happy Woodchuck Day!
- Happy Groundhog Day! Unfortunately, I must point out that Punxsutawney Phil’s weather predictions are only accurate about 40% of the time, almost as bad as the typical meteorologist.
- Happy Groundhog Day! Come on Punxsutawney Phil, give us some good news today!
- Remember, today is Groundhog Day. Don’t forget to express your appreciation to all the marmots in your life.
- Hope everyone has a great Groundhog Day! Hmm… why do I feel like I already said that?
- Happy Groundhog Day! Shadow or no, spring is just around the corner!
- Happy Groundhog Day! Or at least it will be if the groundhog delivers the right verdict!
- Happy Groundhog Day, everyone. If it turns out we’re getting six more weeks of winter, I am definitely going back into hibernation.
- Today is Groundhog Day, when we anxiously await a long-range weather forecast from a glorified rodent.
- Happy Groundhog Day! Regardless of what Punxsutawney Phil says about the weather, I hope everyone enjoys the next six weeks.
- Happy Groundhog Day, everyone. With this weather, I’ll be surprised if they can even get Punxsutawney Phil to come out of his burrow.
- Shadow or no shadow, I hope everyone has a great Groundhog Day!
- It’s Groundhog Day! C’mon woodchuck, give us an early spring!
- Happy Groundhog Day to everyone who believes in the weather forecasting abilities of marmots.
- Happy Groundhog Day, everyone. For the record, I’ll be thrilled if winter only lasts six more weeks.
- It’s Groundhog Day, and I’m thinking about bribing Punxsutawney Phil to make sure we don’t get six more weeks of winter.
- Happy Groundhog Day! Think spring, everyone!
- Happy Groundhog Day! So, will it be an early spring or six more weeks of winter? Only the shadow knows.