Any day is a good day to thank a veteran for his or her service. However, it’s particularly important on November 11, otherwise known as Veterans Day. Initially meant to celebrate world peace and the end of World War I, Veterans Day has evolved into a holiday honoring current and former members of the United States Armed Forces.
So, how do you thank a veteran? It can be tough to find adequate words, given everything they mean to our country. In many cases, a simple “thank you for your service” is enough. But if you’re looking for something more – whether it’s to personally thank someone you know, or to express your gratitude for all those who have served – check out the following list of ideas.
Thanking All Veterans
Here are some short messages of thanks you can send out to all military veterans in November.
- To our soldiers out there… thank you for the risks you take and the sacrifices you make.
- To all veterans of all branches: Thank you for your sacrifice, your bravery, and the example you set for us all. In short, thank you for your service!
- To all those who have served, and those who continue to serve… Happy Veterans Day!
- Happy Veterans Day to our soldiers, both past and present. We owe you our thanks, but more than that, we owe you our freedom.
- There’s no way to thank our veterans for everything they sacrifice for our freedom, but on Veterans Day, we have to try. So thank you to all our service men and women, both past and present!
- Veterans Day is a good time to remember that our freedom isn’t guaranteed. It’s protected by the men and women in our Armed Services. To those who secure our way of life… thank you!
- To all the veterans out there… we salute you! Thank you for your service and sacrifice!
- Thank you to all members of our military, in all branches, past and present, living and dead.
- On this day, we honor all current and former members of the Armed Services. Our country’s greatness is built on the foundation of your courage and sacrifice. Thank you!
- Happy Veterans Day to our military and their families, who sacrifice so much to keep our country safe and strong.
- Not only should we thank the military this Veterans Day, but we should resolve to thank them throughout the year for the vital service they perform for our country.
Thanking an Individual Veteran
A message to an individual should obviously take a slightly different form. Here are some examples of how to say thank you to a veteran using a more personal tone.
- Did you know there are over one million active duty military? That means you are truly one in a million. Happy Veterans Day!
- Just wanted you to know how proud I am to have a friend who served our country with honor. Thank you for your service, and Happy Veterans Day!
- Happy Veterans Day to a great veteran and a great [husband/wife/dad/mom/friend]. You make me doubly proud.
- I know you’re probably seeing lots of Happy Veterans Day messages, but I just wanted to send you my personal thanks for your service.
- Happy Veterans Day to my favorite soldier.
In reality, we can never thank our veterans enough for their service. Inspiring as they may be, the above Veterans Day messages are just a small token of the gratitude we should all feel.