Of all the holidays, New Year’s is the one most filled with hope. If the last year has been good for us, we feel like we’re on a roll and look forward to the new year being even better. If the last year has been crappy, we’re glad for it to be over and think “next year can’t possibly be worse.”
We’re often wrong in both cases, of course. But never mind that. No harm can come from greeting the new year with a positive attitude – in fact, quite the opposite. A good attitude often leads to good results.
One uplifting way to celebrate the New Year is to send your best wishes to friends, colleagues, and family members. To help you find the right words, here’s a big list of Happy New Years wishes for 2019. While a few of these messages include Christmas wishes, most are worded so that they can be shared after the holidays, including early in the new year.
Sincere New Year Wishes
Here are some messages that express genuine good wishes for the coming year.
- Remember the good times of 2018, and get ready for the better times of 2019.
- As you look back on the past year and forward to the new one, keep in mind that they’re both steps on the ladder to your dreams.
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Hope the coming year brings you everything your heart desires.
- May you reach all your goals in the new year, and find happiness in the endeavor.
- I hope the new year brings you the sorts of gifts you can’t find under any Christmas tree. I’m referring to the gifts of inner peace, personal growth, health, prosperity, and most of all, love.
- Don’t just hope for a great year. Make it a great year.
- Happy Holidays! Hope you keep some of that Christmas spirit tucked away somewhere so it stays with you throughout the coming year.
- There’s only one thing we can do to stop the years from going by too fast, and that’s to make every single day count. Hope all your days ahead are full of fun, adventure, and all the other things that make life worth living.
Why not start the new year with a laugh? Here are some humorous New Year greetings to share with the people in your life. If puns are your thing, you might also want to see this article.
- Have a carefree New Year’s Eve and a hangover-free New Year’s Day.
- Happy New Year! Don’t forget to make some resolutions you’ll never keep and put up a new wall calendar you’ll never look at.
- It’s a new year already? I was just getting used to the old one!
- Have fun breaking your New Year’s resolutions.
- It’s time for 2021 to depart, and all I can say is, don’t let the door hit you on the way out. May the new year be less sucky than the old.
- We’ll either tackle our dreams or end up in a wreck – either way, let’s meet the new year head on.
- Wishing you 364 days of happiness in the coming year (happiness might get old after awhile, so I gave you one day off).
- It’s 2019 already? Father Time is a real sonovabitch.
For a Close Friend
A special friend deserves a special New Year’s message.
- When I think about all my happiest memories from the past year, there’s one common denominator: you.
- They say out with the old and in with the new, but I’m not letting go of old friends like you.
- Just think, the next year could be the best of your life. Work hard, stay positive, and know that there are people like me who are pulling for you.
- Happy New Year! With friends like you, I know 2019 is going to be great.
- Hope 2019 is good to you. If it treats you as well as you’ve treated me, you’ll be all right.
- I know you had a tough year, but you made it through. I hope next year rewards you for your strength and perseverance.
- My New Year’s resolution is to be more like you. Happy New Year to one of the best people I know.
- Thanks for being my best friend. I can’t wait to see what shenanigans we get up to in 2019.
Here are some New Year wishes for a spouse or other romantic partner.
- 2019 is going to be the best year yet. That’s because every year is the best year yet when I’m with you.
- Happy New Year, sweetheart! I can’t think of anyone I’d rather be kissing at midnight.
- They say time flies when you’re having fun. That’s probably why the last year with you has gone by so fast.
- The best part of New Year’s Eve are the fireworks that happen when I’m alone with you.
- This year, I’m resolving to love you even more. I don’t know how that’s possible, but I’m going to try.
- Please don’t make any New Year’s resolutions. You’re perfect just the way you are.
- [Long Distance] Since we can’t be together this New Year’s Eve, you owe me one extra kiss. Plus interest.
- [Long Distance] No matter where I am on New Year’s Eve, I’ll be thinking of you when the clock strikes midnight.
New Year’s Quotes
Here are some famous New Year’s quotes that have stood the test of time. Because they deal with transition and self-improvement, many of popular graduation quotes are also apropos here.
- “Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.”
- “Tomorrow, is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one.”
- “New Year’s Day is every man’s birthday.”
- “Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, ‘It will be happier.'”
Alfred Lord Tennyson
- “For last year’s words belong to last year’s language
And next year’s words await another voice.”T.S. Eliot