Donuts (or if you prefer, doughnuts) have been around in one form or another since ancient times. Of course, there have been a lot of innovations along the way, the most famous being the hole that gives donuts their iconic shape. There’s also been a continuous introduction of new flavors, glazings, frostings, fillings, and toppings – all of which make donuts so delightfully varied today.
In addition to being the perfect complement to your morning coffee, donuts also serve up some rich material for wordplay. The following list includes puns about glazed donuts, jelly donuts, birthday donuts, donut holes, sprinkles, and much more. In other words, if you’re into sugary fried pastries and silly wordplay, you donut want to miss it.
To start, here are some donut puns in the form of riddles.
- Why can’t you get a glazed donut on an airline flight?
Because they only have plane ones!
- How do you know when you’re done filling a jelly donut?
When it’s jam-packed!
- What do you call someone who gets an intense sugar high from eating donuts?
Glazed and confused!
- Why did the baker hurry out of his shop with a batch of donuts?
Because it was sprinkling outside!
- Why is a circular pastry called a “donut?”
Because it has a nice ring to it!
- What’s the best day to bring donuts to work?
- How can you tell that a donut shop is closed?
There’s a donut disturb sign out front!
- What did Homer Simpson say when he opened a box of undercooked donuts?
Here are some donut-related puns that are perfect for social media captions.
- My doctor said I should eat more hole foods…
- Donut judge me for my eating habits.
- I go nuts for donuts.
- I’m gonna eat this hole thing.
- I have found the Hole-y Grail.
- Don’t be jelly, y’all.
- It’s sprinkling here.
- Let’s go glaze-y.
- Hole-y sugar rush, Batman!
Here are a few donut puns about love. For more ideas, you might want to check out our list of love puns.
- Like a jelly donut, I have fillings for you.
- You sprinkle my life with sweetness.
- I donut know what I would do without you.
- I love you a hole bunch.
- Donut ever forget how much I love you.
- I’m (dough)nuts about you.
- Life is a hole lot sweeter with you around.
Bringing donuts to work for a birthday? Here are a few punny phrases for just such an occasion. In case your choice of birthday treat is still up in the air, we also have a big batch of cupcake puns.
- I brought birthday donuts! Just donut ask me how old I am today!
- Hole-y crap, it’s my birthday again! Help yourself to a donut!
- I brought donuts for my birthday. As if we didn’t already have enough nuts around here.
- Birthday treats in the break room! I won’t tell you what they are, but you donut want to miss them!
- I brought donuts! Why? Because it’s my birthday and I feel a-glaze-ing!