In the olden days, when you wanted to ask someone to homecoming you… just asked somebody to homecoming. These days, it ain’t so simple. As countless posts on Facebook and Pinterest demonstrate, a lot of people are “popping the question” by staging elaborate public spectacles, complete with posters, props, and costumes.
You don’t necessarily have to go that far. But at the very least, a good homecoming proposal should feature some clever wordplay – and in this case, puns fit the bill perfectly. The logic is simple: Impress your chosen boy or girl with a cheesy turn of phrase, disarm them with bad humor, and you might just be home free (see what we did there?).
Of course, the ideal wording is tailored to the personality and interests of the person you’re asking. But if you’re just looking for general ideas, here are some examples of homecoming puns to get you started.
Sending a food or drink gift is one way to butter up your target. It also opens up many possibilities for puns.
- This is my cheesy way of asking you to homecoming.
- I donut want to go to homecoming with anyone but you.
- You already have a pizza my heart. Going to homecoming with me would be the perfect topping.
- As a homecoming date, you take the cake.
- Dew you want to go to homecoming with me?
- Going to homecoming with you would be sweet.
- I’m not too chicken to ask you to homecoming.
- Going to homecoming with you would be bananas.
- I would berry much like to take you to homecoming.
- Let’s taco ’bout hoco.
- It would mocha me very happy to take you to homecoming.
- I’ve been meaning to Taki to you about homecoming.
- Don’t dessert me when I need a date for homecoming.
- It would be tea-rific if you went to homecoming with me.
Animal-related puns are also popular, especially when paired with a cute picture or stuffed animal.
- I’d be beary happy if you went to homecoming with me.
- I’m not kitten around – I’d love to go to homecoming with you.
- I’m o-fish-ally asking you to homecoming.
- Will you be my homecoming date? Yay or Neigh?
- Maybe it’s puppy love, but doggone it, will you go to homecoming with me?
- I’m not lion when I say it would give me great pride to take you to homecoming.
- Hey fox, what do you say to going to homecoming with me?
When you think of homecoming, you think of football. For players, cheerleaders, and fans, here are a few football-themed homecoming proposals.
- Want to tackle homecoming with me?
- You’re one great catch. Can I take you to homecoming?
- I know it’s a Hail Mary, but would you be my homecoming date?
- Want to kick it with me at homecoming?
Other Homecoming Puns
Finally, here are a few cute homecoming puns that don’t fit into any of the categories above.
- I’m homing in on you to be my homecoming date.
- You make me loco. Wanna go to hoco?
- [Balloons] I’m popping the question: Will you go to homecoming with me?
- It would be super if you would be my sidekick for homecoming.
- I’ve done my homework, and you would be the perfect HC date for me.