St. Patrick’s Day is a religious holiday dating back to the 17th Century. But for most people, it’s far from a solemn occasion. On the contrary, it’s a whimsical celebration of Irish heritage, immoderate drinking, and the color green.
As luck would have it, the unique customs of St. Paddy’s Day provide lots of material for puns. For those who appreciate such rhetorical shenanigans, we’ve put together the following list of St. Patrick’s Day puns featuring leprechauns, shamrocks, and the like. Share them with your boon friends this March 17, or just enjoy them yourself, preferably over a nice, tall glass of green beer.
Here are a few St. Paddy’s Day puns in the form of riddles.
- Why couldn’t the leprechaun pay his bar tab on St. Paddy’s Day?
He was a little short!
- What type of music should you play at a St. Patrick’s Day party?
- Why did Saint Patrick drive the snakes out of Ireland?
They were causing mass hiss-teria!
- What are the best sandwiches to serve at a St. Patrick’s Day party?
- What’s the best dessert to serve at a St. Patrick’s Day party?
- What do you call it when leprechauns get together after being apart?
- What did the leprechaun say to the girl who saved a four-leaf clover in a book?
Don’t press your luck!
- What did the four-leaf clover say on St. Patrick’s Day?
Leaf me alone!
- What’s the best type of furniture to sit on whilst enjoying a green beer on St. Patrick’s Day?
- Why did the burglar sneak into the leprechaun’s bathroom?
Because he heard he had a pot o’ gold.
- Did you hear about the girl who got a fake diamond on St. Patrick’s Day?
It was a sham-rock!
- What kind of person would sell someone a sham-rock?
- How was the lepre-con caught?
By an under-clover police officer!
- How was the lepre-con transported to jail?
In a paddy wagon!
- How can you tell if you’ve told a really funny Irish joke?
People will be Dublin over with laughter!
Here are some St. Patrick’s Day puns to use as captions on Instagram and other social media platforms. For more ways to say Happy St. Patrick’s Day, see this list.
- It ain’t over ’till it’s clover.
- Irish you were here.
- Having a sham-rockin’ St. Paddy’s Day.
- Feelin’ lucky on St. Paddy’s Day.
- Can’t think of a better way to March into Spring.
- Life of the Paddy.
- Living the green.
- St. Patrick’s Day makes me Spring to life.
- This green beer looks pitcher-perfect.
- Who says it’s not easy being green?
- Green isn’t my favorite color, but I’ll wear it in a pinch.
- Hanging out with my lucky charms on St. Paddy’s Day.
- Jameson on St. Patrick’s Day? It’s worth a shot.
- Irish you a Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
- Admit it: You’re green with envy.
- Getting lucked up on St. Patrick’s Day.
- I’m going green, if you know what I mean.