Halloween is like a witch’s cauldron – it’s got lots of strange ingredients that add up to something magical. There are macabre decorations and friendly jack o’ lanterns, people wearing terrifying masks and dogs dressed in adorable lion costumes, bloody horror movie marathons and cartoon classics like “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.”
It seems everyone adds something different to this strange cultural brew that begins to simmer every October.
The most famous quotes about Halloween only confirm this. In this list of the best Halloween quotes ever, we’ve divided the sayings according to their disparate types. Whether you’re looking for a cutesy quote or a sinister saying, you’re sure to find something to like in this monstrous mishmash.
First into the brew are some short Halloween quotes, the kind that are perfect for sharing with friends.
- “Witch and ghost make merry on this last of dear October’s days.”Unknown
- “Something wicked this way comes.”William Shakespeare
- “The farther we’ve gotten from the magic and mystery of our past, the more we’ve come to need Halloween.”Paula Guran
- “It’s Halloween; everyone’s entitled to one good scare.”Halloween
- “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”L.M. Montgomery
- “It’s all just a bunch of hocus pocus!”Hocus Pocus
- “They that are born on Halloween shall see more than other folk.”Unknown
- “For some of us, Halloween is everyday.”Tim Burton
- “A mask tells us more than a face.”Oscar Wilde
- “I got a rock.”It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Next to go into our cauldron are some cute Halloween quotes. These are great for kids, or really for anyone who appreciates the whimsical side of the holiday.
And black cats are seen,
The moon laughs and whispers
‘Tis near Halloween.”
About these witches, is how come
In sailing, through the air, like bats
They never seem, to lose their hats?”
Is pretend that nothing can frighten you
And if somethin’ scares you and you want to run
Just let on like it’s Hallowe’en fun.”
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!”
Now it’s time to add a pinch of humor to the pot. For more on the funny side of All Hallows’ Eve, see this collection of ghastly Halloween puns.
Finally, we add something creepy to this witches’ brew. If you want to spice things up further, see this list of the scariest quotes of all time.
All are on their rounds tonight;
In the wan moon’s silver ray,
Thrives their helter-skelter play.”
Tonight All-Hallows’ Spectre struts
Along the moonlit way.”
Back to their quiet graves below.”
Of the grave’s delight,
And the warlocks are at their play;
Ye think that without,
The wild winds shout,
But no, it is they – it is they!”
Voices whisper in the trees, Tonight is Halloween!”
In the mood for more Halloween wording ideas? Check out these bewitching Halloween greetings.