So you’re planning a Christmas party. Well, bless your heart. For most people, just attending all the holiday events on their social calendars is enough of a struggle – never mind hosting one.
Of course, with the Christmas season being so busy, that creates an additional challenge (as if you didn’t have enough on your plate already). To ensure good attendance, you need a party invitation that grabs people’s attention like a Salvation Army bell on a calm winter night. And you need to get it out early.
Whether you’re sending your invites via mail or internet, the wording you choose is key. This guide includes some helpful tips to get you started, along with specific Christmas party invitation wording you can use.
As with any other type of invite, a Christmas party invitation should include all the important details people need to attend the event. However, there are also a few special considerations to keep in mind. They might seem like common sense, but they’re important enough that we’d be remiss if we didn’t mention them.
1. Plan ahead. Like we said, people are busy around the holidays. Getting your invitations out early is essential, especially if your party is weeks before December 25. You may also want to be aggressive with your RSVP date to encourage your invitees to commit.
2. Get Christmas-y (but don’t go overboard). A few well-chosen Christmas words and phrases – or images – can add a dash of yuletide sparkle to your invitation. Just make sure they don’t clutter up the invite and distract from the key event details.
3. Don’t forget the special activities. If you’re planning special games or other activities for your party, mention them on the invite. It’s good advertising for your party, and lets people know what they’re in for. For more information, see our invitation wording ideas for gift exchanges, Secret Santa, ugly sweater contests, and cookie exchange parties.
4. Come up with a dazzling name. One way to garner attention for your holiday party is to give it a clever name. This makes it seem less like a mere gathering and more like a real event – one that’s not to be missed. For ideas, see this list.
Here’s some wording you could use for just about any holiday party invite.
- We Ho-Ho-Hope You Can Join Us For Our
4th Annual Christmas Party
Saturday, December 17, 2019
at 7 PM
The Olson Residence
1234 Snowy Lane, Ashville
It’s gonna be a jolly good time!
RVSP to Mark (123.456.7890 / [email protected]) by Dec. 10
- Friends, family, and holiday cheer,
Make Christmas the most wonderful time of the year!
Please Join Us For A
Friday, December 19 at 6:00 PM
Abby and Danisha’s Home
1234 Holiday Road, Coon Rapids
Bring a wrapped $20 gift to exchange (details to follow)
RSVP to Danisha (123-456-7890 / [email protected]) by Dec. 7
- ‘Tis the Season For A
Holly Jolly Christmas Party
Friday, December 14 at 7:00 PM
The Cruz Home
1234 Claus Street, Benton
Dress Code: Butt Ugly Christmas Sweater
RSVP to Michael (123.456.7890 / [email protected]) by Dec. 8
Using humor is an excellent way to make your holiday invite stand out. Here are some examples of funny Christmas party invitation wording.
- Jingle All the Way Over to Our House For Our
Friday, December 18 at 7 PM
Abby and Jeff’s Home
1234 Reindeer Road, Parkdale
We’ll have plenty of food, but feel free to bring a festive dish to share
RSVP to Abby (123.456.7890 / [email protected]) by Dec. 11
- Hold Onto Your Chestnuts
We’re Having a Big Christmas Bash!
Get Your Jolly On With Us As We Celebrate the Holiday Season
Saturday, December 13, 2019
at 8:00 PM
The Gregerson Home
1234 Mistletoe Way, Bakersfield
RSVP to Ken Gregerson (123.456.7890 / [email protected]) by Dec. 5
- You’re Already on Santa’s Naughty List
Might As Well Live It Up!
Please Join Us For Our Annual
Holiday Party & Ugly Sweater Contest
Friday, December 15 at 7 PM
The Anderson Home
1234 Spruce Lane, Oakdale
RSVP to Bill (123-456-7890 / [email protected]) by Dec. 5
Details on the ugly sweater contest to follow
Here’s some invite wording for an office Christmas party.
- You’re Invited To A
Holiday Party & Gift Exchange
Thursday, December 19, 2019
7:00 PM – 10:00 PM
Northern Inn Event Hall
1234 North Pole Street, Bakersfield
Bring a wrapped $20 gift to exchange!
- It’s That Time of Year Again!
Markum Industries Would Like to Invite You To A
Year-End Holiday Celebration
Please Join Us For Dinner, Games, and Fun!
Friday, December 13, 2019
Hallsville Convention Center
Bring the Family!
RSVP by December 5 by following this link
Here’s some invite wording for a holiday lunch party. If it’s a potluck, see this article for lots more ideas.
- Eat, Drink & Be Merry
Please Join Us For A
Wednesday, December 18, 2019
at 11:00 AM
1234 Tinsel Street, Maryville
RSVP to Mary (123.456.7890 / [email protected]) by Friday, December 13th
Here’s an example of invitation wording for a holiday cocktail party.
- The Holidays are a Time of Good Cheer
Especially When There’s Good Wine, Whiskey and Beer!
Please Join Us For A
Christmas Cocktail Party
Saturday, December 18 at 8 PM
Wendy and Bill’s Place
1234 Candy Cane Lane, Dayton
We’ll supply the drinks and appetizers – just bring yourself!
Here’s some sample wording for an email invitation.
- Seasons Greetings Everyone!
The holiday season is the perfect time to get together with friends and family. With that in mind, we’d like to invite you to our Annual Christmas Party & Gift Exchange.
Friday, December 18
Steve and Jane’s Home
1234 Kringle Way, Burnsville
To RSVP, reply to this email or call me at 123.456.7890 by December 10. I’ll send details about the gift exchange to those who plan to attend (FYI the price range for the gift will be $20).
Hope you can join us for an evening of festive fun and marvelous merrymaking!
More Christmas Party Invite Phrases
Finally, here are some miscellaneous phrases you can include on a holiday party invitation. For even more ideas, check out this list.
- Mingle and Jingle
- Jingle and Mingle
- Oh What Fun
- Let’s Get Elfed Up
- Join Us For a Holiday Open House
- Let’s Get Jolly
- Making Spirits Bright
- Join Us For Some Holiday Cheer
- The Weather Outside Is Frightful
But Inside, It Will Be Delightful
- Join Us For a Joyful Celebration
- You’re On Our Nice List
- We’re Decking the Halls
- We’re Having a Merry Little Christmas Party
- Join Us For Christmas Cocktails