It goes without saying that wishing your boss a happy birthday is important. Sure, it would be nice to think that everyone deserves to feel special on their big day, and in that respect, your boss is no different. But of course bosses are different – a fact that even the least brown-nosed among us can’t deny.
So, now that we’ve established that your performance review is riding on this, what kind of birthday message works best for a boss? As with other birthday messages for coworkers, it really depends on your style and the type of relationship we’re talking about. To help you come up with the perfect wording, here’s a wide-ranging list of birthday wishes for the boss.
Here are some birthday messages for the boss that strike a professional tone.
- Happy Birthday to a great boss and mentor. Enjoy!
- Happy Birthday, boss! Hope you have a great day, and a wonderful year ahead.
- Happy Birthday! It’s been a pleasure working for you, and I look forward to finding out what the next year has in store.
- Hope you have a relaxing and fun-filled birthday, boss. You deserve it for all the hard work you do.
- Happy Birthday! Thanks for all you do to make the workplace a better place.
- Best birthday wishes to a great boss.
- Happy Birthday to someone who means so much to this company. Hope you have a great day, boss.
Heartfelt and Sincere
If you have a close relationship with your boss, one of these birthday wishes might be more appropriate.
- Happy Birthday! Congrats on another year of being the best boss ever.
- Hope you enjoy your birthday as much as I enjoy having you as a boss.
- Wishing the best birthday ever to my boss, mentor, and friend! Have a fantastic day!
- Happy Birthday to a great boss and an even better person.
- Since it’s your birthday, it’s as good a time as ever to tell you how lucky I feel to have you as a boss. Hope you have a great day!
- Happy Birthday, boss! Hope you take some time for yourself today, because if anyone deserves it, you do.
- Happy Birthday to the best boss a person could ask for.
- Happy Birthday to a boss who makes work seem like fun.
Most people enjoy a humorous birthday wish. Why should bosses be any different?
- Happy Birthday, boss! I was planning to get you an amazing gift, but then I remembered how much you hate suck-ups.
- Happy Birthday, boss! You’re one step closer to retirement, only you can’t retire because this place would fall apart without you.
- Today, I hope you get fired… fired up about your big day! Happy Birthday, boss!
- Happy Birthday to my brilliant, young-looking, and all-around awesome boss. And I’m not just saying that because you approve my time off.
- Happy Birthday, boss! I was told there would be cake.
- Happy Birthday to a great boss, from [her/his] favorite employee!
- You deserve a nice, long vacation around your birthday… but don’t do that, because this place would definitely go up in flames without you.
- You must be the Boss, because you were Born in the USA. Have a great birthday!
- In honor of the boss’s birthday, we’re all only pretending to work today. But seriously… Happy Birthday, boss!
Here are some funny birthday wishes for a boss lady.
- Happy Birthday, boss lady! Hope your birthday kicks as much ass as you do.
- Happy Birthday to the lady who single-handedly keeps this place from going to the dogs.
- Happy Birthday, scary boss lady.
Finally, here are some goofy birthday messages to send to the boss man.
- Happy Birthday to the BBM (Big Boss Man).
- Hey Mr. Boss Man, I’m going to need you to go ahead and have a Happy Birthday. That would be great.
- Happy Birthday, boss man! Today, you’re older, wiser, and even more terrifying than before.
We hope you found the perfect birthday message for your boss. While you’re at it, you might want to check out this list of Boss’s Day messages. National Boss’s Day is October 16.