Thanksgiving gives us many reasons to groan. Three helpings of mashed potatoes? Groan. Being uncomfortably full and still forcing down that piece of pumpkin pie? Groan. Relatives sharing their political opinions? Double groan.
And then there are the puns, which are always groan-worthy. While it tends to get overshadowed by Halloween and Christmas, Thanksgiving has its own unique identity involving thankfulness, pilgrims, football, and most importantly, food. Those associations make for some witty wordplay, as you’ll discover when you feast your eyes on the following list of Thanksgiving puns.
Here are some short Thanksgiving puns you can use for picture captions and status updates.
- Eat, drink, and cranberry.
- Getting the longer part of the wishbone is a snap.
- It doesn’t get any butter than this.
- I’m all about that baste.
- Think Thanksgiving dinner is over? You ain’t seen stuffing yet.
- The gravy boat has arrived. Calories disembarking.
- [Cranberry Sauce] Yes we cran.
- [Pecan Pie] Yes pecan.
- [Sweet Potatoes] Life is sweet.
- [Dinner Rolls] This is how I roll.
Here are some punny Thanksgiving wishes you can share on social media or scribble in a greeting card.
- Buckle up for a great Thanksgiving, pilgrim.
- We’ll worry about the Christmas tree later. Today it’s all about the poul-tree.
- Remember: Thanksgiving is a time to count your blessings, not your carbs.
- For some people, Thanksgiving is about the football. For me, it’s about the Butterball.
- Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving followed by a Peaceful Naps-Taking.
- Mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole… on Thanksgiving, there’s always more than one side to the story.
For lots more options, see this list of Thanksgiving messages for friends and family.
Finally, here are some Thanksgiving riddles. As you might guess, these rhetorical turkeys are all baste on puns.
- What role do green beans play in a Thanksgiving dinner?
- Why didn’t the cook bother to season the Thanksgiving turkey?
She didn’t have thyme!
- What kind of dessert do mathematicians eat on Thanksgiving?
- Did you know that the pilgrims brought cats over on the Mayflower?
They were called purr-itans.
- What’s a goldfish’s favorite holiday?
- How did the turkey manage to survive Thanksgiving?
By being ahead of the carve!
- What’s the best type of music to play during Thanksgiving dinner?
- What do you call it when people take turns making fun of the Thanksgiving turkey?
- What’s Frankenstein’s favorite Thanksgiving dish?
Monster mash potatoes and grave-y.
- Did you know the pilgrims made their own special dinner rolls for the first Thanksgiving?
They came from the May-flour!
- What dish should a rich guy bring to a Thanksgiving potluck?
- What dish did the Native Americans bring to the first Thanksgiving?
- Did you know there’s a book about a pilgrim who has a love affair with a turkey?
It’s called 50 Shades of Gravy!
- Did you hear about the guy who went into a rage when he got the shorter end of the wishbone?
He just snapped!
- What do you call a turkey with no feathers?
Haven’t gotten your fill of Thanksgiving humor? When you’re ready for seconds, check out these utterly fowl turkey puns.