Figuring out what to say to mom on Mother’s Day isn’t always obvious, but most of us at least have some training. After all, we’ve been writing messages to mom since we could grasp a crayon and scribble a few crude words. From preschool to adulthood, we’ve had plenty of time to try out different Mother’s Day messages.
But how do you say “Happy Mother’s Day” to your mother-in-law? There’s no lifelong training for that. Nevertheless, it’s important – especially if you’ve got the type of mother-in-law who really is like a mother to you.
To help you out, we’ve put together this list of Mother’s Day messages for mothers-in-law. If your mom-in-law doesn’t get a kick out of these sayings, it’s probably because she doesn’t like you.
A few simple, kind words are all you really need to express yourself to a wonderful mom-in-law. Here are some plain-old nice things to say to your mother-in-law on Mother’s Day.
- You are not only a mother in law, but a mother in my heart.
- After getting to know you, I can see why your [daughter/son] turned out to be such an amazing person.
- Happy Mother’s Day to my “other mother.” How lucky I am to have two great moms in my life.
- I can never repay everything you’ve done for us, but I hope you know how much I admire and appreciate you. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You’ve always treated me like a [son/daughter] and I’ve come to love you like a mother.
- Some people complain about their mothers-in-law. My only complaint is that I didn’t have you in my life sooner.
- I’m doubly blessed – I get to be married to your [daughter/son] and I get to have you in my life.
- Unlike some people, I have no problem thinking of nice things to say about my mother-in-law. I guess I’m just lucky.
- Happy Mother’s Day to a fantastic mother and a phenomenal person.
- Happy Mother’s Day to someone who is truly like a mother to me.
If you mother-in-law has a sense of humor, one of the following Mother’s Day messages might be right up her alley. Just make sure you’re on hand to explain yourself if she takes one of these witticisms the wrong way.
- You’re such a great person, it’s hard to believe your [daughter/son] turned out the way [he/she] did.
- You’re like a mother to me – and I mean that in a good way!
- Happy Mother’s Day to a person I’m totally not terrified of.
- You and I have a lot in common. We’ve both spent years taking care of [spouse].
- You’re not at all like those bitchy mothers-in-law I hear about.
- You’re just like a mother to me. Can I drop off my laundry this weekend?
- Someday I hope to be half the mother you are, and have a kid who is twice as well-behaved as your [son/daughter].
- Having you in my life is like having another mother, only you don’t nag as much.
- You’re living proof that not all mothers-in-law are evil. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Happy Mother’s Day to the woman who popped out my [wife/husband].
For more twisted Mother’s Day humor, check out these ideas for offbeat Mother’s Day messages.
Lots of things have been said about mothers-in-laws over the years, most of them not very charitable. Here are some nice quotes to share with a mother-in-law (with one zinger thrown in).
- “Conscience is a mother-in-law whose visit never ends.”H. L. Mencken
- “Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law.”Voltaire
- “A mother gives you a life, a mother-in-law gives you her life.”Amit Kalantri
- “Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.”Oprah Winfrey
- “I saw six men kicking and punching the mother-in-law. My neighbour said ‘Are you going to help?’ I said ‘No, six should be enough.'”Les Dawson