Figuring out what to write on a retirement cake isn’t easy. Retirement is a big moment in person’s life, and the top of a cake is a small space on which to commemorate it. Given the challenge before you, you might even be tempted to go with “Happy Retirement,” and leave it at that.
Resist that urge. Coming up with a clever retirement cake message requires a little extra work, but it’s small touches like this that make a retirement party extra special. Besides, we’ve put together the following list of retirement cake sayings, so you really have no excuse to take the lazy route. Use these wording ideas as-is, or as inspiration for your own personalized inscription.
Simple and Sincere
Here are some straightforward wording ideas for a retirement cake. Some are on the formal side and thus more appropriate for a workplace event, while others are more casual.
- On to New Adventures
- Now the Real Fun Begins
- Having Fun is Your New Job
- Retirement is the Icing on the Cake
- You Will be Missed
- Best Wishes For a Happy Retirement
- The Adventure Begins
- Retirement is Sweet
- [Name], You Take the Cake!
- Thanks For the Memories
- You Made It!
- The Best is Yet to Come
- And… You’re Off!
- The Future Is Yours
- Lazy Days Ahead
- Thanks For Your Years of Service
- Off the Clock… For Good
- Oh, the Places You’ll Go!
- The Rest of Your Life
Is the Best of Your Life
- One Chapter Ends…
- We Miss You Already
- Life Starts at Retirement
- [Name] is Outta Here!
- Wishing You All the Best, [Name]
- Enjoy Your Retirement
You’ve Earned It!
- So Much Fun is Coming Your Way
- Newly Retired
For more heartfelt wording ideas, see this list of famous farewell quotes.
Funny retirement cake sayings are always a big hit (though not always appropriate for a workplace event). Here are some humorous options.
- Unemployed and Loving It
- Take Us With You!
- Goodbye Tension
- Retirement is a Piece of Cake
- Showering is Now Optional
(But Still Recommended)
- Piece at Last
- Happy Retirement… You Old Fart
- PTO = Permanent Time Off
- Enjoy the Shit Out of Your Retirement
- Goodbyes Are Hard So… GTFO
- Who Needs Weekends? You’re Retired!
- Now You Can Sleep In
- We Will Miss Your Bad Jokes
- Eat Up, [Name]
You’re on a Fixed Income Now
- Work is Gonna Suck Without You
- Now You Have No Excuse Not to Work Out
- Enjoy Those 7-Day Weekends
- Now is When You’re SUPPOSED to be Lazy
- Who Will Bring Us Donuts Now?
- Congrats on Your Escape
- Rock Those Sweatpants
- Your Last Office Party Evah
- There’s a Park Bench With Your Name on It
- You’re Retiring? No Fair!
- Work is For Chumps
Still searching for the perfect funny saying? Look for more inspiration in this list of hilarious retirement messages.
Here are some short sayings to put on a cake for a retiring teacher.
- School’s Out Forever
- Thanks For Making a Difference
- Effort: A+
- You’ve Graded Your Last Paper!
- Assignment: Relaxation
Finally, here are some cake messages for a retiring nurse.
- [Number] Years of Compassion
- Rx Many Years of Relaxation
- Your Shift is Over. Congratulations!
Need some invitation wording ideas to go with your retirement cake sayings? You’re in luck – we have an article for that, too.