Nurses haven’t always gotten the appreciation they deserve. In fact, in Florence Nightingale’s day, nursing wasn’t even considered a respectable profession. Before Nightingale could become the most famous nurse of all time, she first had to convince her snooty parents to let her go into the field.
Things have changed. These days, a lot more people recognize how important nurses are – not only for their medical skills, but for the compassionate way in which they put them to use.
In fact, nurses are so important that they deserve their own holiday. Thus, International Nurses Day is celebrated around the world each May. However, because one day isn’t enough to recognize everything nurses do, the United States and Canada also celebrate National Nurses Week around the same time.
Obviously, this is a great opportunity to thank a nurse (not that we needed an excuse). If you’re stumped for the perfect words to express your gratitude, the following messages could be just what the doctor ordered.
For All Nurses
Here are some words of appreciation for nurses as a group. These sentiments are ideal for sharing on social media.
- Nurses are heroes. Compassion is their superpower. Happy Nurses Week!
- Happy Nurses Week to all the nurses out there! Your hard work, skill, and compassion make the world a better place.
- Happy Nurses Week to all those who don scrubs and spend their workdays helping those in need. You are true heroes.
- Thank you to all the nurses out there who put themselves in harm’s way to help others. We appreciate your sacrifice.
- Happy Nurses Day to each and every nurse out there. Your care and compassion are as powerful as any medicine.
- They’re overworked, and too often, under-appreciated. Thank you to all the nurses out there who bring care and compassion to their jobs every day.
- Happy Nurses Week to all our amazing nurses! The work you do is not only amazingly important, but also just plain amazing.
- Happy Nurses Week to all the wonderful nurses out there! We love you!
- No matter how hard things get, nurses always give it their best shot. Thank you for all you do!
- Thank God for nurses and the tireless work they do. As far as I’m concerned, they’re all rock stars.
- It’s National Nurses Week? Yep, that’s right, there’s a whole week devoted to recognizing nurses and their contributions. They deserve it, and then some.
- To all the nurses out there… thank you for your service. The world is a better place thanks to your hard work and dedication.
- I’m in awe of nurses and the work they do. Happy Nurses Week to you all!
- What would we do without nurses? Probably die. Happy Nurses Week to everyone on the frontlines of healthcare.
- Happy Nurses Week to all the superstars in scrubs out there! Nurses rule!
- Today is the day when we recognize the contributions of some of the most amazing, hard-working, dedicated, and compassionate people on the planet… nurses! Happy Nurses Day to you all!
- Not all heroes wear capes. Some wear scrubs.
- Whether it’s a routine doctor’s visit, or a national emergency, nurses are always there for us. They do some of the hardest work around, and too often their contributions are overlooked. We can never thank them enough, but we gotta try, so… THANK YOU, NURSES!!!
- Happy Nurses Week to all the women and men who serve in scrubs. Your strength and compassion are simply awe-inspiring.
- Nurses are living proof that kindness and badassery can reside in a single person. Happy Nurses Week to all the nurses out there – and thank you for the amazing work you do!
For an Individual Nurse
Here are some messages for a nurse you know personally, whether it be a friend, family member, or someone who cared for you during a hospital stay.
- Happy Nurses Week to an amazing nurse! Thank you for putting so much heart into everything you do!
- Happy Nurses Week! You’re not just my favorite nurse, but also one of my favorite people.
- Happy Nurses Day to a wonderful nurse. Thank you for everything you do!
- The world needs more nurses like you. Happy Nurses Week, and thanks for your service.
- Happy Nurses Week to someone who makes wearing scrubs look good!
- Thank you so much for the work you do. Your hospital, coworkers, and (most of all) patients are lucky to have you.
- Happy Nurses Week to a very special nurse. I’m so proud of you and the work you do.
- Nurses are awesome, and you’re the awesomest! Thank you for your service!
- Happy Nurses Week! You’re my hero!
- Happy Nurses Week to the sweetest, toughest, most amazing nurse I know!
National Nurses Day is May 6 in the United States. National Nurses Week begins on May 6 and concludes on May 12, the anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth. International Nurses Day is May 12.