All marriages have their ups and downs, and need sustained effort to stay healthy. Renewing your vows is one of the grander things you can do to keep your love going strong. A vow renewal ceremony is a reaffirmation of your commitment to your partner, and a reminder of all the reasons you got married in the first place.
One of the great things about a vow renewal ceremony is that you can skip a lot of the usual formal wedding etiquette. While vow renewals can take just about any form you like, they’re typically casual and intimate.
Whereas you might have sprung for fancy invites for your wedding, you might be more inclined to go the do-it-yourself route for the vow renewal. The only hitch is, you have to come up with the invite wording yourself.
Don’t worry – you don’t have to do it all on your own. This article will help you with some general guidelines, along with specific examples of vow renewal invitation wording that you can use.
Note: Vow renewals are usually organized by the couple, but may also be organized and/or hosted by the children of the couple, or by close friends. The tips and examples in this guide are mostly geared toward the vow-renewing couple, but are easily adapted to other situations as well.
Vow Renewal Invite Tips
Here’s some general advice on crafting a vow renewal invitation.
1. Get nostalgic. A vow renewal is all about rekindling those old feelings, so hearkening back to the early days of the marriage is appropriate. There are at least a couple of ways to do this. One is by adopting the style of a formal wedding invitation (even if the event itself is casual). The other is to include an old wedding photo of the couple.
2. Mention the anniversary. Vow renewals often happen on the couple’s wedding anniversary. Generally, the vow renewal should be the main focus of the invitation, but the anniversary should be mentioned as well – especially if it’s one of the biggies.
What if you’re renewing your vows in private or in an exotic location, and you just want to invite people to a reception? In that case, you can adapt the wording ideas from this article.
There are a couple of reasons to go with formal wording for the invite: 1) you’ve opted for a more formal event, or 2) you want the nostalgic feeling of a “real” wedding invitation. Either way, here are some wording ideas.
- James and Marie Parker
request the honor of your presence
as they renew their vows
on the occasion of their 7th wedding anniversary
Please join them as they pledge their love anew
on Saturday the third of September
two thousand nineteen
at seven o’clock in the evening
Highpoint Inn Meeting Hall
1234 Diamond Lane
Providence, Rhode Island
Reception to follow
Please RSVP to Marie (123.456.7890) by August 24
- The children of
Orlando and Sarah Perez
request your presence
as their parents renew their wedding vows
on the day they were married 25 years ago
Friday, February 19, 2023
at 6:00 PM
The Perez Home
1234 Brighton Road
- Because you’ve enriched their lives
with your friendship and support
You are cordially invited to a
Vow Renewal Ceremony for
Craig Thomas and Matt Andrews
Saturday, May 3, 2023
at 5:00 PM
Bright Star Hotel Reception Room
1234 Devotion Lane
RSVP to Sam Smith (123.456.7890 / email@example.com) by April 21
Casual & Fun
Here are couple of lighthearted options for a vow renewal invite, including some whimsical and funny wording ideas.
- 20 years and still going strong!
We’d be thrilled if you would join us
Brian and Mandy Carlson
as we celebrate the day it all began
and re-tie the knot with a
Vow Renewal Ceremony
Friday, June 17, 2023
at 7:00 PM
The Carlson Home
1234 Nuptial Lane
Please RSVP to Brian (123-456-7890 / firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 5
- We Still Do!
Bill and Wendy Phillips
would like to invite you to help them celebrate
22 years of wedded bliss
with an anniversary party and vow renewal ceremony
Wednesday, December 9, 2023
at 6:30 PM
The Phillips Home
1234 Frisky Way
Dinner and dancing to follow!
RSVP to Wendy (123.456.7890) by December 1
A big wedding anniversary (25th, 50th, etc.) is often an occasion for renewing vows. Most of the sample wording in this article can be tweaked for this purpose, but here’s a specific example.
- On the Occasion of Our
25th Wedding Anniversary
We are strengthening our commitment to one other,
celebrating the remarkable life we share,
and reaffirming our love
by renewing our vows in the presence of family and friends
You’re invited to share in our joy!
Sunday, March 22, 2023
at 4:00 PM
Hills Lutheran Church
1234 Renewal Road
RSVP by March 10
John and Martha Owens
1234 19th Street SW, Austin, Texas, 73301
Save the Date
Save the Date cards aren’t typically necessary for a vow renewal ceremony. That is, unless it’s a destination vow renewal, or the date falls close to a major holiday. In these cases, advanced notice is required. Here’s an example of “Save the Date” wording for a marriage vow renewal.
- Save the Date
Peter and Rebecca Graves
are renewing their vows in beautiful Hawaii!
Join us if you can!
Saturday, August 17, 2023
Invitation to follow
“No Gifts” Wording
A vow renewal generally doesn’t involve gifts. Because some invitees may be unclear on this point, you may want to include some wording such as the following.
- No gifts please. Your presence is all that is requested.
- No gifts necessary. Please bring only yourselves and your appetite.
- Your presence on this special day is the only gift we ask for.
- Your presence is the only present we require.
- Please, no gifts. Your well wishes and continued support are all we need.
More Vow Renewal Phrases
Finally, here’s a list of miscellaneous phrases to consider for a vow renewal ceremony invitation. When deciding on wording for your invite, use these to mix-and-match to your satisfaction.
- We Still Do
- We Still Do and Always Will
- We Do Again
- We Re-Do!
- The Best is Yet to Come
- Our Love Endures
- 50 Years and Counting
- Still in Love After All These Years
- The Adventure Continues… and so does our Love
Bridal showers aren’t usually in the offing for vow renewals, but if you are planning one, check out this list of cute cake sayings.
- 40+ Ways to Say Happy Father’s Day to a Brother-in-Law - May 22, 2023
- Let’s Say Happy Father’s Day to All the Dads Out There - May 20, 2023
- Top 50 Long Distance Relationship Quotes of All Time - May 16, 2023