Teaching children to be kind is one of the kindest things you can do. Not only are you imparting something that makes kids feel good about themselves, but you’re planting seeds that make the world a better place. And that’s no small thing – because let’s face it, the world today can be mean.
Fortunately, kindness has a way of spreading. When one person – adult or child – commits a random act of kindness, it inspires others to do the same. The key is just to get the ball rolling.
While the best way to teach kindness is to be kind yourself, words can also excite the better angels of our nature. Here are some quotes about kindness that are short, lively, and easy to understand – perfect for sending a message of compassion to a younger person. Whether you’re an educator or a parent (or a young person yourself!), we hope you enjoy these kindness quotes for kids.
- “Try to be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud.”Maya Angelou
- “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”Aesop
- “You can always, always give something, even if it is only kindness!”Anne Frank
- “A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves.”Amelia Earhart
- “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.”Dalai Lama
- “Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.”Henry James
- “Kind words don’t cost much. Yet they accomplish much.”Blaise Pascal
- “To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.”Dr. Seuss
- “Be kind to unkind people. They need it the most.”Ashleigh Brilliant
- “We rise by lifting others.”Robert Ingersoll
- “If you see someone without a smile, give them yours.”Dolly Parton
- “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.”Albert Schweitzer
- “How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it!”George Elliston
- “Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping them up.”Jesse Jackson
- “You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.”Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “I think probably kindness is my number one attribute in a human being. I’ll put it before any of the things like courage or bravery or generosity or anything else.”Roald Dahl
- “Everywhere you go, leave a glitter trail of kindness behind you.”Unknown
- “Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”A.A. Milne
- “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.”Lao-Tzu
- “It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.”Unknown
- “As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.”Mary Anne Radmacher
- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”Dr. Seuss
- “Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver.”Barbara De Angelis
- “A kind word is like a Spring day.”Russian Proverb
- “If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.”Booker T. Washington
- “Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.”Mother Teresa
- “Kind people are the best kind of people.”Unknown
If you liked these kindness quotes for kids, you might also want to check out these famous sayings about thankfulness.
More Sayings About Kindness
Here are a few original messages you can use to teach kids about kindness. They may not be the words of anyone famous, but they send a powerful message about having compassion for others.
- Kindness: It costs nothing, but means everything.
- Whatever you want to be when you grow up, be kind.
- Kindness is contagious. Let’s make it go viral.
- People may not always appreciate it when you are nice to them, but you can always feel good about yourself when you show kindness.
- Kind words are the most powerful kind of words. They can lift you up, turn someone’s day around, and start great friendships.
- Remember: You can only be cool until you’re 30 years old, max. However, you can be kind for your whole life.
- A kind friend is the right kind of friend.
- Her grandpa just died. His dog ran away. She found out her family is moving and she has to go to a new school. You never know what others are going through, so remember to be kind to everyone, always.
- When is the best time to be kind? Every time.
- The essence of kindness is doing something nice for someone knowing that the only reward you will get is a warm feeling inside.
The above messages are ideal for sharing on World Kindness Day, which is celebrated on November 13 of each year. Of course, it’s never a bad time to spread the word about kindness and compassion – especially to a child.