Let’s be honest: 21st birthdays are all about the booze. In the United States, 21 is the age at which you can legally drink alcohol, and by extension, get into bars, clubs, and other places where liquor is served. Not only is this a coveted privilege for young people, but it represents the last significant marker on the path to adulthood.
That said, a good 21st birthday wish doesn’t have to mention alcohol. Not everyone is interested in drinking, and for one reason or another, it’s not always appropriate to joke about boozing it up. For some wording ideas – both alcoholic and non – check out the following list of ways to wish someone a Happy 21st Birthday.
Here are some humorous 21st birthday wishes that are perfect for such a fun and uproarious occasion. As you can probably guess, many of these messages include references to alcohol.
- If you wanna nail your 21st birthday, you gotta get hammered.
- You’re 21! Now you can legally do everything you’ve been doing all along!
- On your 21st birthday, I’m cutting you off at 2… pieces of birthday cake!
- Hope you enjoy this milestone. The next birthday you will look forward to is when you qualify for Medicare.
- Happy Beerthday!
- Drinking won’t automatically make your 21st birthday awesome… but it’s worth a shot.
- Congratulations on being legal to drink. Condolences on having all your younger friends call you up to buy for them.
- Happy 21st Birthday! Don’t take offense if I still call you “kid.” It just goes to show how old I am!
- Happy Birthday! Guess you won’t be needing that fake ID anymore!
- The good news about turning 21 is that you can legally drink. The bad news is, legal drinking isn’t as much fun.
For more boozy humor, see this list of alcohol puns.
Here are some 21st birthday messages that communicate heartfelt wishes.
- Happy 21st Birthday! These are the best days of your life, so make sure you enjoy them to their fullest.
- Hope your birthday is twenty-onederful!
- May your 21st birthday be as fun and amazing as you are.
- Congratulations on 21 years of awesomeness… and counting.
- Congratulations on reaching another one of life’s big milestones. The future looks bright!
For a Son
Obviously, a 21st birthday wish from Mom or Dad calls for special wording. Here are a few messages for a son who’s turning 21.
- Happy 21st Birthday, son! Since I’m sure you’ve never tasted alcohol before, try not to overdo it on your big day.
- Don’t start getting a big head now that you’re 21. Remember, I’ve seen you in diapers.
- Happy Birthday to my awesome 21-year-old (really?) son. I’m ridiculously proud of you.
For a Daughter
Finally, here are some messages from a parent to a daughter on her 21st birthday.
- Happy Birthday, sweetheart! Hope you have a lot of fun – but not too much!
- Happy 21st Birthday! Now that you’re an adult, I can no longer force you to do things. I have to resort to nagging.
- Happy Birthday to my beautiful daughter. I can’t believe my little girl is officially all grown up!