Condolences are hard. When a friend or relative loses a loved one, you have to say something. And yet you know there are no words that can possibly take away their pain, and conversely, quite a few ways you could end up putting your foot in your mouth at a sensitive time.
Perhaps the best advice here is to keep things simple. The job of a condolence message – especially in the immediate aftermath of loss – is just to let someone know you care. You don’t need a lot of words for that.
To give you some ideas, here’s a list of short condolence messages that are appropriate for sharing in greeting cards, text messages, emails, and the like.
Note: As you’ll quickly see, these are sample messages that may need to be revised to fit your particular needs. Adding personal touches is key to an effective condolence message.
- I’m so sorry to hear that your mother passed away. Just wanted to let you know that I’m thinking of you, praying for you, and here for you if you ever want to talk.
- My heart goes out to you and your family at this time of loss.
- I just heard about your loss and wanted to send along my deepest condolences. Please let me know if there’s any way I can help in this time of grief.
- Just wanted to send some love your way after hearing about your loss.
- I’m saddened to hear that your father passed away. No matter how long our parents live, it’s never long enough. You’re in my thoughts.
- I can only imagine the pain you’re feeling. Just want you to know that I’m thinking about you and your family.
- Just wanted to let you know that our family is thinking of you at this difficult time.
- Deepest condolences on the loss of your husband. He will live on in the memories of the people who knew and loved him.
- Praying for you and your family during this difficult time.
- My heart aches for you and the special person who is no longer with us.
- I hope you find peace with the passage of time, and comfort in knowing that there are people like me who care so much about you.
- Please know that I’m here for you at this difficult time. Don’t hesitate to ask me for anything, big or small.
- Your wife was a wonderful person. We will all be feeling her loss for a very long time.
- I was heartbroken to hear that David passed. Such a wonderful person. Take care, and let us know if there’s any way we can help in the days and weeks to come.
- Angie may be gone, but nothing can take away the fond memories we all have of that kind and beautiful lady.
- So sorry to hear about the tragic passing of your son. I don’t know what to say, except that I’m thinking of you and ready to help if you need anything.
- Deepest condolences on the loss of your grandmother. I know how special she was to you.
- I know you will be hurting for some time, but you can take comfort in the fact that his suffering is over.
- A beautiful soul has departed for heaven. May God bless and comfort the loved ones she leaves behind.
- My heart aches for you and your family. If there’s any thing I can do to make your lives even a tiny bit easier in the coming days, don’t hesitate to ask.
- Your mother is at peace now. May God comfort you as you grieve for that amazing woman.
- I can’t tell you how sorry I am to hear that your father died. I hope you find comfort in the presence of friends and family at this difficult time.
- Life is short, but love lasts forever. Nothing – not even death – can take away the bond you have with your sister.
- Deepest condolences on the loss of your mother. A nicer lady never lived.
- Wishing you peace and comfort as you grieve for you beloved mother.
- Just wanted to let you know that I’m thinking of you. I know what it’s like to lose a father.
- May your heart mend as you take comfort in those precious happy memories of your wife.
- Deepest condolences. John lived a great life, thanks in large part to having a wonderful wife by his side.
- Just wanted to let you know that I feel for you. Losing people you love is the hardest part of life.
- You’re in my thoughts and prayers, sweetheart. So sorry for your loss.
For more ideas, see this list of famous farewell quotes.